Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Landing Fix

I went out this morning and was greeted with the most beautiful day this area has seen in about 2 months. It's gorgeous out there! But my goal was singular: FIX those LANDINGS! As I said before, my six landings yesterday were pretty terrible. I had a bounce, a small balloon, and actually my landing at RHV was a large balloon that I did a great job of saving -- I added power and kept my pitch up, and landed pretty softly -- but that's not the kind of thing I want to do on a checkride.

So I went out this morning and stayed in the PAO pattern, and did 8 landings. The first six were alright; they were not all that accurate and my flare height was still suffering. I came in low and bounced one (and maybe two; the second felt like a small bounce). I didn't balloon, though, so that's good.

The last two were very good. The seventh was the right height, but I didn't maintain active control on the rudder during the flare, so I landed a little bit askew. Not bad though. The eighth was very good. I might be flaring just a touch too high now, but honestly it's been so long since I did normal landings (vs. short/soft field) that it's possible I'm just becoming unnerved by a normal touchdown. In any case, it was a very good landing.

So, I'm back on track. No reschedule yet; the examiner has yet to contact me. I guess I'll try calling her again today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home